You only remember you have forgotten things when it is to late which is why Keela has put together a kit list for you as a basic guide to what you should bring.
The following list should be marked out only as a guide.
Winter/Cold conditions may require extra equipment such as crampons and/or ice axes.
Before you set out you should CHECK THE WEATHER.
• Waterproof / windproof outer layer (this should include trousers) DO NOT TAKE JEANS WITH YOU!!!
• Warm insulating mid and base layers • Suitable footwear
• Suitable socks
• Map, compass and watch
• Matches, Torch / headtorch and whistle
• Spare batteries
• Basic first aid kit
• Adequate food and drink (flask of hot drink in cold weather)
• Rucksack to carry it in
• Hat / balaclava and gloves
• Spare warm clothes (extra layers for very cold conditions or emergencies)
• Survival bag or lightweight bivvy shelter for group use
• High energy emergency food - only intended for use in an emergency
• Plastic bags to keep equipment dry
• Mobile / cellular phone (recommended although should not be depended on)
• Walking poles
• GPS receiver and spare batteries
Depending on the season and the activity, the following may also be required:-
• Helmet - advisable for some routes
• Insect repellent (anti midge) especially in Scotland
• Good sunglasses / alpine goggles
• Sunblock / sunhat